Brian Ho (brianho) wrote,
Brian Ho

Good morning, ACen

Reporting in from ACen: Day 3. I haven't had a lot of time to update from the con, but I appear to be up before everyone else this morning. It's about 9 am, and I'm already out of bed, showered, and ready to go. I thought I'd take the opportunity to get some of this down while I can still remember it since I don't expect to have to do anything for about an hour.

The journey really began on Thursday night. I really didn't want to take more than one day off from work for ACen this year. With the new release coming up next week (well, now this week since it's Sunday), I want to be available for anything that comes up and not leave my company in too much of a lurch. So the only day I took off was Friday. That meant that I'd be traveling to the con on Thursday after work. However, that was also lissarenee's birthday. Combined with the fact that she had been gone Saturday-Wednesday prior, I really wanted to have an opportunity to do something with her before I left for three days to go to ACen.

We went over to Joe's Crab Shack for dinner. They seemed to be a bit short-staffed, so it took longer than expected to get a table and to be served. It wasn't bad service, and the food was great, but it took longer than I was expecting. So we didn't end up getting home until around 9:30 or so.

At that point, thenarus was already at the house waiting for me as he and yuritdo were planning on hitching a ride up to Chicago with me. Unfortunately, in the business of the prior days, I hadn't really packed and I needed to dye my hair which had faded from a deep blue to pretty blah looking turquiose. I quickly washed my hair and slapped some dye on it so that it could set while I packed a bag. As I was quickly pulling a bag together, Allen showed up. So I just finished up, rinsed my hair out, and we were out the door and on our way.

The trusty SRT-4 made excellent time up to Chicago and we arrived in a little over three hours. With the one hour time difference, that was about a quarter/half after midnight in Chicago. This began what has, so far, become pretty much the opposite of my most recent Ohayocon experience from earlier this year.

That early Thursday night we mainly spent getting a room, badges, shirts, and getting settled in. Of course I was starting to get pretty tired at this point since I had a full normal workday behind me already, but like an idiot I ended up staying up socializing in the green room for quite awhile after I was done with everything that actually needed to be done. As a result, I only ended up with maybe four hours of sleep going into the first day.

Well, it seems that I'm being called into action earlier than expected, so I'm going to cut this short for now and pick it up again later...

  • Life is...a game

    Hello, LiveJournal. It's been a long time. Four years, as a matter of fact. I've been inspired to try journaling again by the game Life Is…

  • Korea trip days 1-3

    This year I am continuing my now three-year running tradition of visiting thenarus in whatever country he's stationed in with the Air…

  • Goodbye to an old friend

    Widget 1997-2011 I had to say goodbye to Widget today. He's been such a part of my life for so many years that it's hard to even think of him…

  • Post a new comment


    default userpic

    Your reply will be screened

    Your IP address will be recorded 

    When you submit the form an invisible reCAPTCHA check will be performed.
    You must follow the Privacy Policy and Google Terms of use.
  • 1 comment